Masters of Cinema 2015
The Film Grain Foundation is pleased to announce that for the first edition of Valletta Film Festival it will be celebrating the cinema of the Sicilian director Giuseppe Tornatore, Oscar winner for the film ‘Cinema Paradiso‘.
A selection of his films will be screened, free of charge at Pjazza San Ġorġ, Valletta from Wednesday 17th and Sunday 21st June 2015.
Born and raised in Bagheria, Italy, Giuseppe Tornatore began his career as a still photographer. He moved into directing plays, then television directing in 1979 with Italy’s national television network, RAI. His feature film directorial debut was Il Camorrista (1985). For his effort, he won a Silver Ribbon as Best New Director from the Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists. It was his second film, however, that established Tornatore as an internationally acclaimed director. Cinema Paradiso (1998), about the influence of a cinema and movies in general on a young boy, earned not only an Oscar and a Golden Globe for Best Foreign Film, but five BAFTA awards (including Best Screenplay for Tornatore), a Cannes Grand Jury Prize and several more awards from international film festivals.
Since then, Tornatore has directed several more Italian and English language films, including Stanno tutti bene (1990) starring Marcello Mastroianni which won the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury at Cannes, La Domenica specialmente (1991) starring Patricia Arquette and La leggenda del pianista sull’oceano (1998) both of which won him Best Director at the David di Donatello Awards.
Following is his full filmography:
- 1986: The Professor (Il camorrista)
- 1988: Cinema Paradiso (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso)
- 1990: Everybody’s Fine (Stanno tutti bene)
- 1991: Especially on Sunday (segment “Il cane blu”)
- 1994: A Pure Formality (Una pura formalità)
- 1995: The Star Maker (L’uomo delle stelle)
- 1995: Lo schermo a tre punte (documentary)
- 1996: Ritratti d’autore: seconda serie documentary)
- 1998: The Legend of 1900 (La leggenda del pianista sull’oceano)
- 2000: Malèna
- 2006: The Unknown Woman (La sconosciuta)
- 2009: Baarìa
- 2013: The Best Offer
Tornatore is currently shooting his new film titled “La Correspondenza” to be released in January 2016.